Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums: Help! Instrument Rating Checkride - Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help! Instrument Rating Checkride Lesson instructions are too ambiguous

#1 User is offline   rpgpgmr 

• New Flyer
  • Icon
  • Group: New Flyer

Post icon  Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:59 PM

I have failed this checkride sooo many times. I need help. I've searched this forum but I can't track down what I'm looking for. Does anyone have a breakdown of this checkride?

I keep getting dinged for not crossing FACTS above 5,000, MILT above 3,000, and NDB above 1,600. However I know that I did ... especially since I have 100 feet of altitude forgiveness!

Need clearer explanation of:

1 When do I start descending at each waypoint ... better yet, how do I know I'm at each waypoint?
    2 How do I know the difference on the NAV 1 OBS between 338 and 339 because they are so close?
    3 After executing the missed approach, WHEN/HOW in the world do I enter holding!?!?

I'm sooo tired of failing this checkride. I have studied and studied and practiced and practiced. I know how to fly the plane, I just don't understand what they are asking me to do. Any help is greatly appreciated. :blush:

#2 User is offline   Tim 

• Cleared to Land
  • Icon
  • Group: + ATC
  • Interests:Flying!

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:01 PM

I have not began my instrument training, but to answer your first question. Use the time in between waypoints. You should be able to approximate your location by referencing the time.

#3 User is offline   rpgpgmr 

• New Flyer
  • Icon

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:14 PM

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the response. First of all, I'm not sure why this post was moved to the Real World Aviation Forum? I thought I had originally posted this in the FS2004 General Forum, but perhaps I was mistaken. At any rate I have been able to figure out the waypoints section using time. When I read your post I realized that the distances were listed in the Minima section of the charts.

I think they've made the Instrument Rating Checkride a little too strict. I completed all of the assignments and passed both of the other checkrides EASILY, but after at least a dozen tries I can't even get past the first part of the Instrument Rating exam!

#4 User is offline   Tim 

• Cleared to Land
  • Icon
  • Group: + ATC
  • Interests:Flying!

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

My fault. I didn't realize you were talking about the FS2004 lesson thing. I thought you meant real life instrument checkride. Duh. Probably should of noticed why you posted in this topic in the first place.

As for your questions, I would still recommend referencing these two guides:
http://www.faa.gov/l...lying_handbook/
http://www.faa.gov/l...dures_handbook/

#5 User is offline   rpgpgmr 

• New Flyer
  • Icon

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:08 PM

No problem at all. I could have been a little clearer in my post. I will definitely check out those guides that you've recommended. I plan to learn a lot from the many experienced people on this forum.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users