Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums: My first flying lesson.. - Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My first flying lesson..

#1 User is offline   redeye 

• Commercial Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: Commercial Pilot
  • Interests:Flying, Horses, photography and walking my lurcher dog
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: Q6600
  • Memory: 4 gig
  • Video: ATI Radeon HD 4800

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

I feel like a kid again wanting to tell someone about a great day ive had so please humour me.

Took my first flying lesson today in a Piper warrior from Fairoaks airport here in the UK, Fairoaks is just south West of Heathrow and just impedes its airspace so after takeoff you do a left turn to clear its airspace(on rnwy 24).

It was kind of strange seeing the cockpit laid out in front of me for real instead of virtually, almost felt like i should have had a mouse in my right hand to click things!
Posted Image
sorry about crappy picture...taken on my iphone.

Had a great lesson, learned about how prep the plane, taxiing, triming, turns,use of throttle etc.

Flying FSX all these years really helped with cockpit orentation and understanding the physics side of things.

My tutor told me that a common mistake that FSX pilots make when flying a real plane (in VFR)is that they spend to much time looking at the instruments rather than looking up and actually flying the plane, which i thought was an interesting observation.

Anyway, came away feeling thrilled to have been at the controls of a real plane and felt the wind under my wings!

#2 User is offline   FSyoda 

• Student Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: Student Pilot

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

Awesome! I hope you continue to post your progress here. You should try to get audio recordings of your instruction. Just get a cheap digital audio recorder and Y cable and record your lessons! What is it like learning to fly over there? Do you require a medical certificate before you solo and how much does it cost to rent? Also, what is the airspace like over there, are their many GA airports around to fly into? How friendly are the big airports to GA?

hope to see more =)

#3 User is offline   redeye 

• Commercial Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: Commercial Pilot
  • Interests:Flying, Horses, photography and walking my lurcher dog
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: Q6600
  • Memory: 4 gig
  • Video: ATI Radeon HD 4800

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:00 PM

Yoda, yes you do need a medical certificate before you can do a solo, its usally around the 15 hour mark or when the instructor thinks your ready. The plane to rent is £105 per hour and the instructor another £25, which i think is cheap.
Had my second lesson today and covered basic flight suff. Maintaining the same altitude when increasing power and visa versa when decreasing power aqnd re-trimming, not as easy as it sounds.

We have many GA airports in the UK so there is no point in flying into a larger airport, I dont think Heathrow would like it if you asked for permission to land! After getting up to 2000 ft from Fairoaks you can almost see 3 other GA airports. Airspace is very cramped so you have to be on the ball with vfr navigation. Ive been given some homework to do like learning the start up procedure.

Great fun...thanks for your intrest

#4 User is offline   Adz 

• Don't say bugger it scares the Instructor
  • Icon
  • Group: Airforce Pilot

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

View Postredeye, on Aug 3 2009, 08:00 PM, said:

Yoda, yes you do need a medical certificate before you can do a solo, its usally around the 15 hour mark or when the instructor thinks your ready. The plane to rent is £105 per hour and the instructor another £25, which i think is cheap.
Had my second lesson today and covered basic flight suff. Maintaining the same altitude when increasing power and visa versa when decreasing power aqnd re-trimming, not as easy as it sounds.

We have many GA airports in the UK so there is no point in flying into a larger airport, I dont think Heathrow would like it if you asked for permission to land! After getting up to 2000 ft from Fairoaks you can almost see 3 other GA airports. Airspace is very cramped so you have to be on the ball with vfr navigation. Ive been given some homework to do like learning the start up procedure.

Great fun...thanks for your intrest

Good to see you've started the first step is always the best and its a massive learning curve from now to first solo , and it may seem like a long way away but when you get towards the end of the course it seems very very close :ph34r:

View PostFSyoda, on Aug 3 2009, 05:16 AM, said:

Awesome! I hope you continue to post your progress here. You should try to get audio recordings of your instruction. Just get a cheap digital audio recorder and Y cable and record your lessons! What is it like learning to fly over there? Do you require a medical certificate before you solo and how much does it cost to rent? Also, what is the airspace like over there, are their many GA airports around to fly into? How friendly are the big airports to GA?

hope to see more =)

Flying here is quite diffrent from America , quite a bit more controlled airspace , quite alot less Ga traffic and about £70 per hour more in price . A class 2 medical is a must have before solo and also most flying schools ask for a pass in the Air Law exam (Pass mark - 75%) Hire is more than normal in the Us in my local private hire for a 1 year old Pa-28 Warrior 3 is £141 per hour , Cherokee £110 , Dr.400 £131 and C.172 is £160 which is about the normal range for the Uk . Depends where you are for the volume of Ga airports , Some places down south there are about a dozen ga fields within a few minutes flying time but where I am its my local (50 minute drive away) then the nearest exclusive ga airport to that is about 40-50 minutes flying time south or Liverpool which is quite a large International airport 30 minutes east but the landing fee is somwhere in the stupid range and some big airports can be a bit funny to light traffic , obviously microlights but sadly these days all light aircraft arent given the big thumbs up and when you are given a spot to land the landing fee usually requires a "handling" charge (In other words a man in a 4x4 and a hi-viz vest to wave at you then take your money) which puts most of these places out of the price range of most weekend flyers especially with Avgas being around the £1.60 mark :(

#5 User is offline   MarkStewart 

• Commercial Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: + FSBreak Hosts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:30 PM

Redeye,

Congratulation to you man. If you listen to this weeks show, I talk about your flight in your buddies sport plane. I see the bite from that flight
has fully taken effect and you have started your growth of wings. If you listened to the show last week or the week before I talked about
my instructor slapping his clipboard over the instruments telling me to get my head out of the cockpit. I mentioned how this was a bad
habit developed in Flight Simulator. The best thing you can do is to forget those instruments are there and learn to feel how the aircraft
feels at different speeds and configurations. Using only for quick reference.

I would always suggest you don't wait until pre-solo to get the medical. You want to clear yourself early of any issues that might stop you from
going further. Drink lots of water too because you need to go into the bottle at the exam :)

Give me a shout at mark@flightsimcrazy.com

Glad you are having fun.

Mark Stewart

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users