Any good?
Do windows drivers work on it?
Compatibility?

#2 User is offline   ussmidway 

• Student Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: Student Pilot

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:43 PM

Im about to get an old PC from work, it will have Linux on it. Im definately curious as to how much I can use this thing for, other than surfing the net. I will definately chime in with some reports on it.

#3 User is offline   Eric 

• Only 24 Hours in a day?!
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: Core i7 920
  • Memory: 12GB DDR3
  • Video: Nvidia 9800GTX+ 512MB

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:55 AM

Windows drivers will not work on it, there is usually separate linux drivers for hardware. The best way to try out how your hardware will work is to download an Ubuntu live cd and see how it is. It will let you try the OS without actually installing it.

I've never had an issue with drivers in linux, most of them are built into the OS so you don't need to install them.

http://www.ubuntu.co...ubuntu/download

#4 User is offline   Stevo 

• 747 Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: 747 Pilot
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: i7 iMac
  • Memory: 8Gb
  • Video: ATI Radeon HD4850 512mb

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:33 AM

View Postussmidway, on 07 November 2009 - 09:43 PM, said:

Im about to get an old PC from work, it will have Linux on it. Im definately curious as to how much I can use this thing for, other than surfing the net. I will definately chime in with some reports on it.

You can do everything on Linux that you can do on windows, just not with the same programs. It's an excellent OS and I've heard good things about Ubuntu. For flight simming you can use the freeware Flight Gear (which has a really nice flight model but not much in the way of add-ons - but hey, it's free) or X-Plane. Open Office does everything MS Office can do and there are a few games around ported to Linux too.

I used Linux for years and really enjoyed the unix-like environment but I was spending too much time tweaking and not enough time doing. The answer was to buy a mac. They got my interest when they switched to OS X and had me as soon as they started with Intel processors. It's like Linux but with millions of dollars spent on it :lol:

...but I digress. Yeah Linux is cool.

#5 User is offline   ussmidway 

• Student Pilot
  • Icon

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:57 AM

I brought my Linux rig home last night, and so far I have to say I am amazed.
I plugged my Belkin USB wireless thingy in, and it picked up my Linksys router straight away, didnt even install drivers. It just worked.
Surfing the net with Firefox is smokin fast. I usually use Opera as my browser, so I downloaded that last night.

I will be spending more time with it over the week. I can say now, if I find it a functional option to Windows, I will be building a more powerful
rig with Linux as my OS and jumping to X-Plane.

My mission from this point is to find Linux alternatives to my Windows apps.
I already use VLC player on windows, so there is my Winamp/Media Player replacement.
Im a 3D modeler, and have always used Blender, so that has a Linux build.
Paint Shop Pro can be replaced by The Gimp.

I would say to anyone curious, go find an old crap single processor Dell or something like it, drag it off the trash heap and
set it up with Linux and enjoy.

#6 User is offline   Eric 

• Only 24 Hours in a day?!
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: Core i7 920
  • Memory: 12GB DDR3
  • Video: Nvidia 9800GTX+ 512MB

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:21 AM

View PostStevo, on 08 November 2009 - 06:33 AM, said:

View Postussmidway, on 07 November 2009 - 09:43 PM, said:

I used Linux for years and really enjoyed the unix-like environment but I was spending too much time tweaking and not enough time doing. The answer was to buy a mac.

Sounds like the same story as me!!

#7 User is offline   ussmidway 

• Student Pilot
  • Icon

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:54 AM

Well, after several days of use, I would say the initial 'wow' factor has worn off a bit.
Linux is fast, loads quick, and so far is perfect for surfing the internet and doing basic things.

It is not for the casual PC user, at least in my opinion. There is a software search within the OS
that you use to find programs, and it will install them easily. But, if you go outside of this search
function and find stuff, it gets a bit more complicated. For instance, the X-Plane demo. It isnt as
simple as clicking on the download and installing. There is an issue with a missing library, and
this requires you to open what is called the Terminal window. If you are old enough, it will
immediately bring back memories of working in DOS. This sort of thing obviously isnt going to
be for everyone.

Plus the limited software available, and the sometimes not so great quality of that
software is also a drawback.
Something else to keep in mind, is that there arent always drivers for hardware. While Linux recognized
my Belkin USB wireless adapter without requiring any drivers at all, I am so far unsuccessful at getting
an old PCI Nvidia card installed. So this means im relying on the integrated graphics setup, which is a
drawback if you want to use the PC as a multimedia machine.

Now this being said, any PC in my house that is just an internet computer, will likely from now on have
Linux on it. The PC I have it on now is a crappy old Pentium 4 office rig that was on the scrap heap at my
job. It probably is surfing the net faster than my DualCore AMD gaming rig.

Anyway, I think that for me, Linux is useful. Im not going to swear off Windows yet, at least as long as I am
a Flight Simmer.

#8 User is offline   Stevo 

• 747 Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: 747 Pilot
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: i7 iMac
  • Memory: 8Gb
  • Video: ATI Radeon HD4850 512mb

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:09 AM

View Postussmidway, on 17 November 2009 - 03:54 AM, said:

...this requires you to open what is called the Terminal window. If you are old enough, it will
immediately bring back memories of working in DOS. This sort of thing obviously isnt going to
be for everyone.

Yep indeedy. It's far from being the OS for the average joe although I have heard of it being rolled out in some corporate environments. Mind you, even our SOE version of WinXP at work is so toned down and locked up that it is very difficult to do anything other than just turn the thing on and type documents and send emails - you could do the same to a Linux distro and people wouldn't know the difference.

Ahhh, terminal, I have fond memories of bathing in its green glow until the wee small hours just trying to compile some beta program or other. :blink:

#9 User is offline   beatricedns 

• New Flyer
  • Icon
  • Group: New Flyer

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:50 PM

Linux is acclaimed as a abiding and reliable platform, accouterment database and trading casework for companies like Amazon, the acclaimed online bookshop, US Post Office, the German army and abounding others. Especially Internet providers and Internet account providers accept developed addicted of Linux as firewall, proxy- and web server, and you will acquisition a Linux box aural ability of every UNIX arrangement ambassador who appreciates a adequate administration station.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users