Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums: Need input on new processor - Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need input on new processor Core2Duo 3.0 to Quad 2.83

#1 User is offline   bigtruck_ 

• Airforce Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: Airforce Pilot
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: E8400 @ 3.8 GHz
  • Memory: 4GB DDR2
  • Video: (2) GTS 450 SuperClocked 1GB

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:30 PM

So, I have this processor:
http://www.newegg.co...5-037-_-Product

Would this processor be a good upgrade for FSX:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115041

Just curious because I am loooking to crank more settings and figured this would be better than a new computer...

Would FSX take advantage of all 4 cores or should I just stick with the 3.0 and OC?

Thanks everyone for your input!

:w00t:

#2 User is offline   ModelSkinny 

• Commercial Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: Commercial Pilot

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

I would overclock, you can get that thing to 3.8 and you'll see a BIG difference, i have one rig with an E8600 at 4.1 and fsx runs beautifully.

You will need a better cooler, but that should still come out cheaper than getting a whole new processor.

Oh yeah, you will also need to cool your MCH/Northbridge chipset so get a fan for that as well. I don't know what kind of motherboard you have. I have a gigabyte and it came with an overclocking program called easytune that I used. Most pro overclockers poo poo it, but it has worked beautifully for me and the temps are just fine.

#3 User is offline   bigtruck_ 

• Airforce Pilot
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:29 PM

View PostModelSkinny, on 23 November 2009 - 07:06 PM, said:

I would overclock, you can get that thing to 3.8 and you'll see a BIG difference, i have one rig with an E8600 at 4.1 and fsx runs beautifully.

You will need a better cooler, but that should still come out cheaper than getting a whole new processor.

Oh yeah, you will also need to cool your MCH/Northbridge chipset so get a fan for that as well. I don't know what kind of motherboard you have. I have a gigabyte and it came with an overclocking program called easytune that I used. Most pro overclockers poo poo it, but it has worked beautifully for me and the temps are just fine.

Thanks for the thoughts!

I have a Dell XPS 630i, don't know if it is a Dell motherboard or not... Posted Image

Still in the research phase so any help is appreciated!

Thanks again!

:D

#4 User is offline   bigtruck_ 

• Airforce Pilot
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:40 PM

So I found this site:

http://www.my630i.co...erclocking.html

Does this make sense? I have never done anything like this before so still learning.

:D

#5 User is offline   ModelSkinny 

• Commercial Pilot
  • Icon

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

Given that processor you would follow these directions:

For locked processors:

Enter your BIOS by pressing F2 on startup.
Go to Advanced, and then CPU.
Disable C1E.
Disable SpeedStep.
Go to Advanced and then Overvoltage Configuration. Add incrementally to the FSB clock for the CPU. It may require a small increase to FSB VTT of not more than one or two available increasable values in the BIOS settings.
Press F10 to exit and save these settings to CMOS by pressing Enter to accept the default "Y".
Be sure to test the stability of your overclock settings and system by running either O.C.C.T. for one hour using the mix of tests or Prime95 for 10-12 hours overnight. O.C.C.T. is more stringent, so it can perform the tests much faster (your temps may also be higher when running O.C.C.T.). Seeing as they use different algorithms, you may also want to run both to be thorough.

IMPORTANT: write down your original settings so you can return to them, also learn where the CMOS reset switch is on your Mobo, so you can reset everything if you need to.

So your clock speed = Front Side Bus x Multiplier.

Your processor has a locked multiplier so the only thing you can increase is your Front Side Bus (FSB), as you increase the FSB you will eventually have to add more voltage to the chip (FSB VTT), this is a long trial and error process and you will have to get used to failed boot attempts.

Once you have a stable boot situation you will have to run a CPU test like prime 95 and monitor the temperatures to make sure everything stays stable. With any overclocking situation you should conisder adding additional CPU and MCH cooling.

Honestly if you are not comfortable with this I would take it to a computer repair store and see if they will do it for you, if might save you some heartache.

#6 User is offline   bigtruck_ 

• Airforce Pilot
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:40 AM

Okay, so I really gave it some thought about the whole overclocking thing and got a little scared...

I got my brother a new computer:
http://www.fszone.or...ent-some-today/

Would this be a better fit for FSX or should I stick with what I have. I like what I have, it works well and have it setup just how I like it. I don't know if it would be a good upgrade or not. Any input would be appreciated!

#7 User is offline   ModelSkinny 

• Commercial Pilot
  • Icon

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:48 AM

Based upon my experience with the whole thing so far, I have learned that "perfect is the enemy of good" My dual core runs fsx as well as the core I7(but only on a single screen not TH2go).

So if you are happy with what you have and it meets your needs, I would not disturb it.

For a freebie performance boost do a Name (File Folder Sort) Defrag, I just did one and the increase speed in FS9 is pretty remarkable...like 5 fps(haven't tried FSX yet)

It took 3 solid days tho'

#8 User is offline   bigtruck_ 

• Airforce Pilot
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:11 AM

Sweet, thank you. What kind of defrag program do you suggest?

#9 User is offline   Dredd 

• Proud to fly Horizon!
  • Icon
  • Group: + Reporters
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: AMD AM2+ 9650
  • Memory: 4Gb @1033MHz
  • Video: GTS450 1GB

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:17 AM

O&O or DiskTrix are both excellent defraggers. I use O&O myself. I'm pretty sure that both allow you to use them as a trial for 30 days or so.

#10 User is offline   Thomas 

• We Want ABBA!
  • Icon
  • Group: 747 Pilot
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: Athlon 2.6 Dual
  • Memory: 3GB RAM
  • Video: HD5770 1GB

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:27 AM

View PostDredd, on 09 December 2009 - 11:17 AM, said:

O&O or DiskTrix are both excellent defraggers. I use O&O myself. I'm pretty sure that both allow you to use them as a trial for 30 days or so.

Whats wrong with MS defrag Software?

#11 User is offline   bigtruck_ 

• Airforce Pilot
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:02 PM

Thank you Neil. Sounds like I will have to download it and transfer it over to the gaming machine!

#12 User is offline   ModelSkinny 

• Commercial Pilot
  • Icon

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:20 PM

View PostABBA Nut, on 09 December 2009 - 11:27 AM, said:

Whats wrong with MS defrag Software?

Nothing is "wrong" with MS defrag, but it does not offer all the options of commercial defrag software.

I use a freeware defragger called JKDefrag64, it was recommended to me and it's a very small application, although to do the name defrag you have to put in the instructions via the command line which can be obtuse if you are not used to it.

It took 3 days to get done, but the results are worth it. Basically the thing holding back my performance is the triple head to go triple-widescreen, when FS9/X has to draw in a complex cloudscape it just tanks, and this has helped out.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users