• 747 Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: 747 Pilot
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: i7 - 975
  • Memory: 6GB
  • Video: ATI Radeon 4870

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:58 AM

Well, Friday evening and Saturday I hope to get my first flights in with Windows 7. I've had Windows 7 installed on my laptop for work about a month now and upgraded my home computer (i7 Processor) to Windows 7 last evening. I plan to re-install FSX so it's a clean install and then also get A2A's J3 installed along with the REX.

We'll see what the results are!

Ted

#2 User is offline   Thomas 

• We Want ABBA!
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: Athlon 2.6 Dual
  • Memory: 3GB RAM
  • Video: HD5770 1GB

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:30 PM

Looking forward to some screenshots from you

#3 User is offline   trwagner1 

• 747 Pilot
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:13 AM

The upgrade went well. I'm still doing some small adjustments. I downloaded the new ATI driver set and will get that installed this evening.

I decided to re-install FSX and my A2A J3 with Accusim. This evening I'll be concentrating on the Nick's Tweaks for FSX. Sorry, can't provide the link here at work, blocked. But, I'll get it up later with an example fsx.cfg file.

Windows 7 already has the latest and greated DirectX so all I needed to do was install the Accelerator pack which installed SP1 and SP2 and find the new ATI Radeon drivers for the 4800 series cards.

Now, before we get going here, let me list my hardware. I've got an i7 975 processor (3.33GHz), ATI Radeon 4870 x2 video card and 6 GB ram, Windows 7 64-bit. The reason I went with a higher processor and more expensive graphics card is this machine isn't solely for FSX. So, I needed something "more modern" over-all for multiple purposes.

Before Windows 7, with no tweaks to fsx.cfg and with the frame rate set at limited, medium traffic density, I pretty much consistently got 24-25 FPS in FSX.

Now, eye candy for me is important. I purchases REX and will re-install that as well. But, I'm gearing up for the PNW purchase and have downloaded all the OZx freeware stuff. BUT, what's equally important for me is the audio... I'm a HUGE (as in Tim Taylor grunt all day at high volumes) fan of Round Sounds produced by Aircraft Records. I can (and literally DO...) sit all day at work listening to several of their CD's instead of standard music. Nut, eh?

Have it SOUND real and look great helps me immerse since I only have 1 monitor at the moment.

I have a feeling I will become a cockpit builder. But, what I'm very hesitant about is that... if you build a cockpit and want to "close" to the original for that "whole" experience, you are almost tied to one aircraft. Now, that's a bit of a generalization, I know. But, I'm the kind of person who.... if I built a 172 cockpit, it just wouldn't "feel right" or be fun for me to up a J3 or a Mooney in a 172 cockpit. Kind of like me wearing a suit or shopping at a mall.... even on those rarest of occasions when it does happen, it ain't for long :no:

So, anyway, got a fellow FS'r who has an nVidia setup and he sears by the Nick's Tweak's tutorial. He went from 8-10 fps to about 30+.

The tweaks will be important because at some point I want the photo-real scenery.

Ted

#4 User is offline   Dredd 

• Proud to fly Horizon!
  • Icon
  • Group: + Reporters
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: AMD AM2+ 9650
  • Memory: 4Gb @1033MHz
  • Video: GTS450 1GB

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:29 AM

Photo scenery just adds so much if you fly GA. I only fly form inside the plane and I never tire of looking out the window as the scenery slides by. One thing that I bought was TrackIR, 2nd hand as it goes, which completely changed the whole sim for me. Being able to just 'look' round the aircraft, really makes a difference, especially when joining an airfield. Its made my circuits much much better on the sim, and means I'm flying the sim exactly the same way I fly in the real world. Its the single best upgrade you can buy yourself, especially with one monitor.

#5 User is offline   trwagner1 

• 747 Pilot
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

Ok, just in case someone asks, I'll be proactive. The Nick's Tweaks guide is here: http://www.simforums...s.asp?TID=29041

Screen shots BEFORE adding REX with the A2A J3:

Notice the scuff marks in the floor.

Posted Image

Also, note how much more accurate the color is.... Lots of good stuff with A2A visually.... the glass properly reflects the gauges too. very nice

Posted Image

I'll be adding REX and tuning. First flights in the J3 very good. No issues with Windows 7 at all so far.

Ted

#6 User is offline   trwagner1 

• 747 Pilot
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:57 PM

Some photos 3am flying down at Tamworth in Australia. A2A J3 Cub.

This is after doing the raw basics with Nick's Tweaks guide. No further optimization... yet. But, may not be necessary!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   trwagner1 

• 747 Pilot
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

check out this link where I have more pics posted after more graphics adjustments.

http://www.fszone.or...aining-journey/

#8 User is offline   beatricedns 

• New Flyer
  • Icon
  • Group: New Flyer

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:46 PM

Windows 7 is the operating arrangement afterwards the Windows Vista from Microsoft. It is fabricated to be faster and added reliable, authoritative it easier to do what you want. To ensure that Creative barter consistently accept the best acquaintance with our products, there are new drivers created to absolutely maximise your acquaintance while application your articles on the Windows 7 platform.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users