Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums: Need input on controls - Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need input on controls FSX vs. X-Plane

#1 User is offline   trwagner1 

• 747 Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: 747 Pilot
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: i7 - 975
  • Memory: 6GB
  • Video: ATI Radeon 4870

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:37 PM

Something I noticed when going between X-Plane and FSX is that the controls are VERY sensitive when I run X-Plane. So much so, it's annoying.

I've been considering purchasing the CH yoke and pedals. If anyone has these and has flown both, do you know if this is also the case with the CH add on products? Or, does it make any difference?

Ted

#2 User is offline   Stevo 

• 747 Pilot
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: i7 iMac
  • Memory: 8Gb
  • Video: ATI Radeon HD4850 512mb

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:12 AM

View Posttrwagner1, on 16 December 2009 - 12:37 PM, said:

Something I noticed when going between X-Plane and FSX is that the controls are VERY sensitive when I run X-Plane. So much so, it's annoying.

I've been considering purchasing the CH yoke and pedals. If anyone has these and has flown both, do you know if this is also the case with the CH add on products? Or, does it make any difference?

Ted

Hi Ted,

I purchased CH yoke and pedals a month or so ago (used from eBay) and found them to be a significant improvement over my decade old sidewinder. It was still quite sensitive though but I think I'd just started compensating for it. It really stood out when I was flying in FS9 the other week. FS9 felt much less responsive compared to the fine movements I'd probably become used to but was a tad more realistic in a way I couldn't quite put my finger on. Strangely enough it was only a little while later I listened to (I think) last week's FSBreak and Mark said something about XP aircraft feeling out of touch with the airstream and I realised that was it. So I started fiddling with the sliders in the joystick settings box (as suggested by Mark later in the same show) and pushed them full left and right respectively. You can do this while flying so you get immediate feedback and can bracket them in until you're happy with how it feels. I ended up with this...

Posted Image

I reckon I'll continue to tweak but it feels much better now. I've always been such a realism freak that I didn't want to push the sliders to where I might lose it but I think this has definitely helped get the plane back in touch with the airstream. I also allow a small null zone to account for any play in the control movement. I'll be interested to hear whether you find these settings useful.

Cheers,
Steve

#3 User is offline   trwagner1 

• 747 Pilot
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:16 AM

It's good to hear about the adjustments. Ironically, I was playing with that as well last evening in the Piper I just bought from C74.net. (Need to review that soon with screen shots).

I might be imagining it, but from rear external view, if you have to correct the aircraft the controls seem hyper-senstive. I didn't have autopilot enabled the other night and went to an external view briefly. When I had to make a correction, the same movements of my joystick I would use in the cockpit tended to over-correct.

I am still debating. Reviews tend to be pretty favorable to both Saitek and CH products. Still not sure which ones to get. I'm leaving toward Saitek. Those I've spoken with who use Saitek really enjoy them and everyone says it makes the flying a lot more realistic.

What I'm not sure about yet (I haven't done any research yet, but will soon) is the augmentation sliders on the right on that same screen.

Ted

#4 User is offline   trwagner1 

• 747 Pilot
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

So, has anyone used BOTH the Saitek and CH product line recently? I really am having a hard time deciding what to get. People who have Saitek swear by it... people who have CH swear by it but recommend the pro series.

I liked the comments here by Scott: http://www.fszone.or...dpost__p__71015

A couple things are important to me.

A) realizing these controls will never be "the same as" the real thing, it would be nice if they got close or there's some closeness. I think Scott indicates in his post that the CH Pro does just that.

B) Same with the pedals. I've heard people say the CH pedals are a bit more "realistic" than the Saitek... true or false?

C) I have leaned toward the Saitek because I can get the Yoke/Throttle quadrant combo.... I don't think I want the throttle on the yoke. I have the AV8TOR joystick with the throttle on the front of there and I don't like that. I'd like the flexibility of being able to locate the throttles in a more realistic position if I can.... and move to a "generic" DIY cockpit. But, if this would be a secondary issue if the "feel" of the yoke was better on the CH over Saitek....

Can anyone provide feedback for using both sets of controls?

thanks

Ted

#5 User is offline   Dredd 

• Proud to fly Horizon!
  • Icon
  • Group: + Reporters
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: AMD AM2+ 9650
  • Memory: 4Gb @1033MHz
  • Video: GTS450 1GB

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:08 AM

Having used both sets of products, I'd say go with what appeals to you visually. I like the fact that the Saitek has a clock incorporated into it, and I don't like the new CH yoke with those cruddy little paddle things sticking out of it! I do prefer the Saitek quadrant to the CH on board yoke one. I do however prefer the CH peddals, and I can't quite put my finger on why. They just feel more like the real thing, in my opinion.

#6 User is offline   trwagner1 

• 747 Pilot
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:23 AM

Interesting. Thanks Dredd. Love your photos on your website by the way. Very nice.

Ted

#7 User is offline   Dredd 

• Proud to fly Horizon!
  • Icon
  • Group: + Reporters
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: AMD AM2+ 9650
  • Memory: 4Gb @1033MHz
  • Video: GTS450 1GB

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:29 AM

Thanks Ted!

Page 1 of 1