Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums: HDE for Flight Simulator 2004 - Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HDE for Flight Simulator 2004 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   trwagner1 

• 747 Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: 747 Pilot
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: i7 - 975
  • Memory: 6GB
  • Video: ATI Radeon 4870

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:06 AM

Brendan from FSBreak posted a recommendation during show 48 for "HDE" which is High Definition Environment for FS9. I was setting up FS9 on my daughter's computer since I run FSX and X-Plane on my computer.

I installed this add-on for FS9 and took it for a spin. I don't yet have any screen shots but it sure looked fantastic with the ultra-high res clouds installed. This is a "low budget" (freeware) fill in for REX. I never was able to get the "free" REX for FS9 to work when I had it installed on my computer. but, I suspect that was due to having a 64-bit OS installed.

The original link posted was corrupt. I found the following link and Eric also updated the FSBreak link:

http://www.fs2000.or...ion-environment

I've since found it in other locations so any will do.

I have one gripe about a lot of the freeware stuff and that's the install process. With several FREE windows installer applications out there, it would not take much effort to set up an EXE installer to provide to allow folks to download and install the add-ons hassle free. I will post more on this later.

But, HDE works great. I would highly recommend this. It doesn't take up hardly any disk space and didn't affect frame rate at all.

Ted

#2 User is offline   ModelSkinny 

• Commercial Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: Commercial Pilot

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

View Posttrwagner1, on 28 December 2009 - 07:06 AM, said:

I never was able to get the "free" REX for FS9 to work when I had it installed on my computer. but, I suspect that was due to having a 64-bit OS installed.

Chances are the program was installed to The "Program files" folder instead of the "Program files(x86)" folder where your FS9 is, that's a common problem with older software. But if you get it installed it's a nice package.

#3 User is offline   trwagner1 

• 747 Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: 747 Pilot
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: i7 - 975
  • Memory: 6GB
  • Video: ATI Radeon 4870

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

Yep, it was but there was some other issue with a DLL or something. I gave up on it and moved it to my daughter's PC. The HDE works great and she's happy with that, we may look at REX for FS9 later.

Ted

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users