Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums: Windows 7 Clean Install! - Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows 7 Clean Install! Should I?

#1 User is offline   Learjet777 

• New Flyer
  • Icon
  • Group: Student Pilot

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:47 PM

Hi everyone,

So when I purchased my then NEW laptop back in August 2009 I received the Windows 7 upgrade several weeks back which I performed and I really like Windows 7 alot! My question is should I do a CLEAN install to get rid of things that would have been left over from Vista (As I choose the upgrade option)? Also, since my laptop was preloaded with webcam and other programs and drivers won't I need to find these programs to get the items to work again? For instance my HP laptop came with a media program to operate the webcam etc.... Will the clean install break these kind of things?

And will the CLEAN install really make that much of a difference? I am the type that reloads my computer systems back to factory installs about every 6 month's :) Some for the fun of it and mainly to just get rid of all the junk that ends up on them!

Thanks for oyur help!

BTW, I have a complete backup of it right out of the box so worst case scenario I start all over again like it was when I bought it. Of course I would have to upgrade the Windows 7 again as it would take the system back to Vista!

#2 User is offline   Fourtyfreak 

• Student Pilot
  • Icon

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:35 AM

Personally I'm a fan of completely wiping and reinstalling Operating Systems, but as you say it can be a pain when the new OS doesn't support your hardware. Thankfully HP are one of the better companies when it comes to making device drivers and installed applications available. Take a look at the HP site and make sure there are doze 7 drivers and applications available first. (you didn't state which HP laptop you had otherwise I'd have checked for you)

As for a clean install making any difference, it's a guess but I'd have to guess yes. All manufactures install extras which you may or may not need, having a fresh copy means you get to decide which apps you need to use for yourself rather than having HP decide for you. You may not want to install any silly trial software for instance. :yes:

Also I guess, if you're happy to flatten the laptop as you state, why not just give it a go anyway. At very worst, you'll only waste an hour or two if it doesn't work out for you, but in my experience, Win 7 is really good at finding the required drivers by itself. I've a 7 year old Tosh Laptop which I recently flattened and installed Win 7 on for a chuckle, the laptop has never run so fast. Wifi drivers were found instantly, and sound drivers were found after the first reboot. The only thing which wasn't available were the enhanced video drivers, (it works at full resolution OK, but has no acceleration) simply because Intel chose not to update the 855 drivers past XP.

Let us know how you get on.

Paul

#3 User is offline   Learjet777 

• New Flyer
  • Icon

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

Fourtyfreak

I have the HP DV-7-1444us (almost sure the us just means United States version, but not sure), and I posted the complete specs on here somewhere but can not find the post. As a matter of fact I think (almost positive) that I received the disk from HP with the drivers on it too when I got the Windows 7 upgrade sent to me. I remember it tried to update the drivers and broke some things ( like I have those touch volume control and other buttons that are sensitive to your touch) and I couldn't get the volume to work at all after upgrading the drivers so I went back to a Restore Point (love this feature...was in Vista too) and everything worked fine. And if I am looking at the right consumer prices I got a great price on my 17" laptop and than Windows 7 Ultimate for FREE which shows as retailing for like aROUND $200.00 or so, since I can't get a student discount.

I think I am going to go for it this weekend to bring in the new year :)

Thanks for you help!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users