Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums: Working On New Site - Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Working On New Site Flight Sim Community Portal

#1 User is offline   Learjet777 

• New Flyer
  • Icon
  • Group: Student Pilot

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:04 AM

First I need to ask Eric if it is alright to post this here and also if he minds if I keep the banner on the site directing users to FsBreak to listen to his/their excellent podcast. I am working on this site as much to learn the CMS, Content Management System, as much as creating a kind of portal for the simulation community. I am trying to bring information together like the free information about flight simulation on wikipedia, as well as a dictionary of terms (if I can get this to work properly), to companies, members, and guest reading and posting article reviews, and/or articles about a flight they make or product they like or dislike. But I am mainly doing it to have a project on the side and if others are interested in learning possibly a system they are not used too and enter or edit data when they are bored :) Plus of course to get feedback and also write articles about FsBreak podcast and direct the link directly to FsBreak.

I will not post any url's until Eric has given me the permission to do so and to also use the Banner I have on my site now linking users to the FsBreak site! Companies and users will have the ability to post information on the site so there may be someone that likes a product and one that does not. Also a member could post a flight they made and include some information that someone might learn from.

It is in the beta stage (as I just started in it New Years day) and I suspect will be for some time :) But I am having fun developing the site, and learning in the process! If I am given permission understand their is a lot of learning going on with the CMS and learning new ways to do things.

So if you are interested in being able to post a review of a product, good or bad, add a flight you made with appropriate size pictures to help someon else in the flight sim community ( I need to learn VOR), than stop on by and learn a new website building system, and at the same time have fun building a flight sim portal. I am going to contact a few companies to post articels about their products, websites, holiday parties, (need Eric, Danton, Mark, and Brendan to write an article about FsBreak) so we can have different points of few :)

Here is the temporary link:

FsxXp Website

Happy New Year to everyone!

#2 User is offline   Eric 

• Only 24 Hours in a day?!
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: Core i7 920
  • Memory: 12GB DDR3
  • Video: Nvidia 9800GTX+ 512MB

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:42 AM

I think that is perfectly fine, let me know if you need any artwork for the banner.

What CMS were you using?

#3 User is offline   Learjet777 

• New Flyer
  • Icon

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

Eric,

Thanks for giving me permission to post the information. I am still working on pointing the domain to the correct DNS server location. But here is the temporary link:

FsxXp Website Link

One you register Eric I will upgrade you so you can see the backend of the site. The CMS is Joomla and it is open source as I am sure you know. It is a very powerful system with hundred's if not thousands of plug in to ad content to the site. I have actually built some simple ones for clients in the last few month's but nothing too complicated, therefore I am still learning. I do like the way that you can have different levels for the community and everyone can write their own content and articles for the site giving their own opinion on a subject or just writing to give information about a subject. You can find out more about the program at Joomla CMS.

Take a look at the banner of FsBreak I resized and put at the bottom of the site. Do you have one that can be put on the side menu area's? I am still learning about the program so have much testing to do. Right now I am trying to get some wikipedia (open source) information in the site for content, and to try and figure out the correct layout :) Another good thing is once the member sign's up for the site they are also signed up for the forums which is nice. Although the forums are basic, but I am not sure if I am going to keep the forums anyway after some testing is done. I would rather people post an article.

Looking forward to seeing members post articles and information on the site. Everyone don't be surprised if the look changes often as i am trying different templates!

Eric,

Thank you for letting me post the info! It should be fun to work on and learn.

#4 User is offline   Learjet777 

• New Flyer
  • Icon

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:43 PM

Still working on the website but now I have the directory working where you can add your favorite virtual airline or simulation website url and description of the site to the directory which is growing. Members can also write as many articles as they like about any subject,products, or opinion about flight simulation, even just a flight they made. Now you can post your screen shots of your flights on the website. Speaking of which is there a way to set MSFS to reduce the size and instead of a bitmap image make it save as another type such as jpeg, or png? The size of the screenshots are so large and have to be converted for size and file type before uploading. When I convert them they go from 4.X MB to 50-100 KB. Why are the file so large.

Would really like to have some X-Plane articles, screenshots, and sites entered into the directory for X-Plane as well as all versions of MSFS!

Thanks Eric for letting me post this information here.

FsxXp Flight Simulation Site

Hope to see some screenshots and srticles from the fsBreak members! I would appreciate anyone posting on the site so I can continue to test during the beta test period!

Thank you in advance for helping!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users