• We Want ABBA!
  • Icon
  • Group: 747 Pilot
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: Athlon 2.6 Dual
  • Memory: 3GB RAM
  • Video: HD5770 1GB

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:36 PM

Hi all, I have come across a recent discovary in my sisters old pc which is now made redundant owing to her getting a laptop for christmas, i first cracked it open to see if i could salvage any Ram from it to put to work in my machine, sadly it only has 2x512 sticks but i noticed it has 4 slots and it got me thinking, would this be a better moitherboard for my components which are athlon x2 5000+, Radeon Powercolour HD5770 and 2x 1gb Ram Sticks.

My motherboard in the pc i built, which i use for everything is a BIOSTAR MCP6P M2+
Posted Image

As you can see its a VERY cheap motherboard with little connections, only 2 ram slots hardly any IDE connectors( a bit old i know but i have big IDE drives i cant connect)

The motherboard i can put all of my gear into is a ASUS A8M2N-LA
Posted Image

The thinbg that worries me is that in the ASUS board is a single core athlon 3500+ and my good prosessor is a Athlon 5000+ x2, the five minuites i spent googling the ASUS board revelaes that the prosseor that i have is the Fastest it can support. I would like help on this guys with some research if you guys dont mind helping me out.

So after it all the system would benefit from 1gb RAM more, more HDD space a Superb looking case and a bonous of not having to buy a USB 5.1 channel Sound card for the speakers i got for christmas because this motherboard has it onboard

Posted Image The case i will House all this in

Posted Image The UGLY case i have which is huge

I guess the big question is will the ASUS board Support Dual core??? Guys? help

The ASUS is AM2 and the BIOSTAR is AM2+

#2 User is offline   Dredd 

• Proud to fly Horizon!
  • Icon
  • Group: + Reporters
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: AMD AM2+ 9650
  • Memory: 4Gb @1033MHz
  • Video: GTS450 1GB

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

Hi Thomas, the worst that will happen is that the thing will bleep and refuse to fire up! I'm pretty sure that the 5000+ is AM2 not AM2+, so it should be a pretty good match. My old AM2 mobo didn't support my old CPU, but with a bit of poking around in the BIOS, I got it working at the right speeds etc. What it didn't do was report the CPU as a 6000+, instead it just reported the clock speed it was runing at. Not a problem, but whenever I went to install a game, it flagged my CPU as not being up to the job! I'd say just plug the lot in and see what you get! Oh ... and buy youself some Tim Clean to clean the old paste off the CPU/Cooler and put new paste on.

Good luck ;)

#3 User is offline   Thomas 

• We Want ABBA!
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:59 AM

Well i got it all sorted last night and it booted straight into the OS fine even though it was from a different motherboard, Was a bit jumpy to begin with but after i did some driver uninstaling and updating and stuff it soon got to normal speed, did run into a few problem though, my PSU just has enough power outputs for everything in my pc, also there is no more room in the case so i might have to go external on that one. But im chuffed about another GB of RAM and 5.1 surround which works fine now.

So now my System is:

2.6 Dual
3GB RAM
HD5770 1GB

Maybe not the best system around but it does everything i need it to

#4 User is offline   Thomas 

• We Want ABBA!
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

Status report, for whoever is interested.

Just recently came accross a problem with the setup, all of the hardware crammed into a tiny case with limited fand means it is getting very hot and smelling hot, so i have left it with the side off until i can mabye tie a few cables down to increase the air flow, and probably buy a bigger fan and heatsink.

#5 User is offline   Dredd 

• Proud to fly Horizon!
  • Icon
  • Group: + Reporters
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: AMD AM2+ 9650
  • Memory: 4Gb @1033MHz
  • Video: GTS450 1GB

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:18 AM

cable tie your cables tobether, and get an extracter style fan or two in the case to suck the air out .. remeber, its easier to blow air out of a box than into a box. By blowing it out of the box, the air pressure reduces inside the box, and air will enter through all the gaps, it doesn't work as well the other way round.

#6 User is offline   Thomas 

• We Want ABBA!
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

Well since i had posted i got a fan out of an old pc (we have plenty hanging around in the garage) and put it on the back plate where there was a fan space and tied some cables together nd made it all more compact to maximise air flow.

#7 User is offline   bigtruck_ 

• Airforce Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: Airforce Pilot
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: E8400 @ 3.8 GHz
  • Memory: 4GB DDR2
  • Video: (2) GTS 450 SuperClocked 1GB

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:21 AM

So... Did it work?

:w00t:

#8 User is offline   Thomas 

• We Want ABBA!
  • Icon
  • My FS Rig

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:46 AM

Yea it Runs fine, still a bit hot though, but it dosent shut down, i have left the side off for now :lol:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users