Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums: Unibody Macbook Pro Keyboards - Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unibody Macbook Pro Keyboards How do they compare to the old powerbook G4

#1 User is offline   Fourtyfreak 

• Student Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: Student Pilot

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:10 AM

Hi all,

I've recently had my old Mac Powerbook G4 stolen and am now in the process of looking for a replacement. I've been looking at the new Macbook Pro, but am a little unsure about the keyboard. The keyboard on the G4, and the early MBP's had a really nice action and were a pleasure to use for extended periods of time. I'm just not sure about the action of the new Unibody MBP's. There is something about the look of them that makes them seem uncomfortable. I'm hoping to get my hands on one soon so I can decide foir myself, but would appreciate your opinions.

Anyone here got a new MBP and how does the keyboard compare to the G4?

Cheers

Paul

#2 User is offline   Stevo 

• 747 Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: 747 Pilot
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: i7 iMac
  • Memory: 8Gb
  • Video: ATI Radeon HD4850 512mb

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

Hi Paul,

This is probably a totally useless comment for you but I use one of the new iMacs with the aluminium keyboard. I've got both the cut down wireless version that came with it and a full size usb one that I bought separately. I prefer to have a numeric keypad and the page up/down keys come in handy for moving around in the cockpit as well as when using the xplane scenery editor. Keyboards are a very subjective thing so what seems perfect for one might seem like slush to someone else. I like the new keyboards. I think the cut down version I have is more or less the same as the macbook layout and I don't have any troubles touch typing with it. The layout doesn't feel cramped. The keys are very flat but have a nice crisp response. The build quality is exceptional as to be expected. I'm not good with the combination keypresses you need to do to get the full functionality (such as those page up/down keys) so prefer the full version.

For what it's worth mate.

Cheers,
Stevo

#3 User is offline   Fourtyfreak 

• Student Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: Student Pilot

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:36 AM

Thanks for that, Stevo, it helps a lot.

I guess my fear was that the new style of mac keyboard would take a little too much to get used to, mostly because the keyboards on the G4 Powerbooks and early Macbooks were so great.

I'm still yet to get my hand on one, but am hoping to be able to travel into town over the weekend to the Apple store. Guess I'll know more then.

Many thanks.

Paul

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users