Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums: Complex Engine Training - Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Complex Engine Training Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ModelSkinny 

• Commercial Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: Commercial Pilot

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

Hey guys I did my complex engine endoresement today and I wanted to share with you what I learned. A complex engine means a plane with a landing gear and variable pitch propellar(you control prop pitch and manifold pressure).

I did my training in the piper arrow at KFXE, which is the 8th busiest GA airport in America. I actually got the Carenado piper arrow some time ago but stopped flying it because it flies like a turd, lo and behold, that's actually pretty accurate.

This was the weather this evening, when I did the training this morning it was quite a bit calmer.
Posted Image

Lined up on RWY 8, full throttle, prop full forwards, mixture full rich, to take off
Posted Image

Liftoff, positive rate of climb and no more usuable runway, GEAR UP
Posted Image

I can verify that baseball diamond is there in real life
Posted Image

500 ft, bring manifold pressure back to 25" and prop back to 2500 RPM (25/25 = climb), turn crosswind
Posted Image

Downwind leg, here we hit pattern altitude of 1000 ft, so we go to cruise power setting which is 23" manifold pressure and 2300 RPM (23/23 = cruise)
Posted Image

KFXE is right in the heart of the South Florida corridor of airports, so it has some slightly complex airspace, you have to say out of Pompano Beach's(KPMP) airspace(class delta) which is to the north , and below the outer ring of KFLL airpace(Charlie airspace) which is directly above and begins at 1200 ft.
Posted Image

Midfield Rwy 8, so check speed is less than VLE, GEAR DOWN verify 3 green, and do the pre-landing checklist
Posted Image

Crossing the Rwy threshold, MP back to 17" and prop stays at 2300 (17/23 = descent), put in first notch of flaps
Posted Image

Turning Base
Posted Image

So here on base leg, power is in descent(17/23), verify 3 green on the gear lights, comfortable descent rate, drop second notch of flaps
Posted Image

On final, lined up for Rwy 8, here we do, RED BLUE GREEN, RED= Mixture is for best power(full rich in this case), BLUE= prop is full fowards in case we go around, and verify 3 GREEN gear lights for the third time.
Posted Image

Touchdown! Come in with just a touch of power to smooth out the landing, and then cut power when on the ground.
Posted Image

We did some other stuff with stalls and steep descents, if there's any interest I can try and post that as well.

The carenado arrow flies remarkable like the real thing, it's very heavy and you have to power it around, also if you don't put a little power in before touchdown you'll hit pretty hard.

Thanks for looking. Next I go for the high performance endorsement, also I learned there's a sea plane school close to me in central florida where you can get the Sea Plane rating in one weekend, I am thinking why not!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users