Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums: Isd Project Rome Fiumicino 2005 - Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Isd Project Rome Fiumicino 2005 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Robin.B 

• Reviewer
  • Icon
  • Group: Commercial Pilot
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: P4 3.2E GHz
  • Memory: 1GB PC3200
  • Video: Leadtek GeForce 6800GT

Posted 18 July 2005 - 04:01 AM

ISD Rome Fuimicino (LIRF) 2005 Scenery

Posted Image

Introduction

Knowing ISD’s previous reputation from their fantastic scenery for Milan Linate airport, I knew to expect above-average, even payware quality scenery from ISD when they released Rome Fuimicino 2005. The eye candy that appeared was not disappointing in any way whatsoever when I first fired up Flight Simulator 9, and even after further inspection, I was very impressed by this scenery.

Installation

The download and installation of this scenery is simple. After downloading the 15.19MB zip file from ISD’s rather professionally designed and good looking website, (http://www.isdproject.com) simply extract the zip into the Main FS9 folder, and then open Flight Simulator and add the scenery to the Scenery Library, which concludes the installation process. The Scenery, once extracted, weighs at around 46.3MB’s. Although an exe might have been better for a scenery like this, so that the user wouldn’t have to manually add the entry to the Scenery Library, there are no difficulties with the installation and only a newbie to FS2004 will have some difficulties installing it. (4 out of 5 due to the manual entry to the Scenery Library)

Textures
After the simple installation, an absolute eye candy awaits us. When “Good Quality Scenery” is in question, one of the most important factors to consider is the textures, and ISD has no other than beautiful looking textures all around. As far as my visual interpretation is concerned, all of the Rome Fuimicino airport area has been beautifully textured; Runways, Taxiways, Custom grass textures, All of the buildings and even the smallest of objects don’t lack detail and every texture is crisp and clear. The colour tones of the grass are just right and it looks very pleasing to the eye. The buildings are maybe not so amazing in texturing, but they certainly are detailed and crisp.

As an extra plus, ISD have included detailed and very realistic runway textures, along with equally good taxiway textures, which are hard to find in freeware sceneries as most of them use the default FS9 runway and taxiway textures. The runway textures vary from runway to runway, include tire skid marks and vary in tones where they need to. They also look seamless, unlike some other freeware and even payware sceneries I have seen. The taxiways have a nice look and some dirt effects as well, especially at the parking areas under aircraft. (5 out of 5 for many beautiful textures included in the package, all of them being well designed)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Accuracy

Although I haven’t seen Rome Fiumicino airport in person, looking at a few pictures it can be seen that ISD has worked hard on making the scenery as accurate as possible. Almost everything seen in the below photo can also be traced on the ISD Rome scenery, and bearing in mind that the scenery is freeware, we can comfortably say that they are pretty much identical:

http://www.airliners....file/857692/L/

Posted Image

(5 out of 5; This is the best level of accuracy that can be expected from a freeware scenery)

Performance

With all the detail you can see above, this scenery surely should have an impact on the FPS, it is unavoidable if you want complexity. But ISD Rome has done a great job on performance, unless you’re viewing a very complex are with 100% Traffic, you should be getting fairly acceptable FPS. I noticed a very tiny impact on FPS in the Airport Overviews; everything was smooth the whole way around the scenery. It got a little worse when viewing the complexly modelled terminals from the VC of an aircraft sitting at a moving jetway gate. My FPS stays locked at 24fps and using ISD’s scenery, it didn’t go too much below 15, even with many AI and dense areas in sight. Although I do have a pretty strong computer configuration, looking at a lot of other sceneries out there, ISD is one of the best on FPS considering the detail.

If you do not have such a great beastly computer system, then ISD also kindly offers a lower detail version of the scenery which you can read more about in the documentation. This concludes the performance test as 5 out of 5, with me believing that the performance could go no higher with this complexity. (5 out of 5)

Posted Image

Fiumicino at Night

ISD Rome looks absolutely breathtaking at night time with all the lights. I was stunned by the beautiful night lighting, and I think it ranks at the very top with the best payware sceneries. The FPS also maintains at very acceptable levels, and even increases a little at night time, I was getting no less than 16-18 FPS during the night time testing...
Posted Image

Posted Image

(5 out of 5 – Night lighting looks absolutely stunning!)
Other bells and whistles

Moving Jetways:
Absolutely perfecting the scenery, 16 different moving jetways are offered in ISD Rome 2005. They operate with the common NAV2 frequency change, with each of the 16 moving jetways having a different frequency. The list of frequencies is provided in the manual which can be found in the Addon Scenery\ISD Rome 2005 folder. The moving jetways are categorised in 4 different categories, from smallest commercial aircraft (such as the ATR 42 or 72) to the largest (Boeing 747). Once you are at the correct gate for your aircraft, the jetway moves slowly to fit the aircraft.

Posted Image

(Just a few clicks, and the jetways align to your aircraft, surprisingly accurate!)

Moving vehicles!

From busses and cars around the airport to the trains outside of the airport, there are many dynamic objects around. They are very smoothly animated compared to some older sceneries that have tried to adopt this feature. They don’t seem to have too much of an impact on the FPS count either when viewed. This is a nice add to the “Dynamism of the airport” and definitely makes the experience more realistic.

Static Aircraft:

Although static aircraft look rather ugly in most users’ point of view, Static aircraft for Fiumicino airport are provided in the download. Thankfully, they are not installed by default, but if you wish to turn on your static aircraft, the installation is simple and is provided in the Manual that comes with the scenery.

Bells and whistles (5 out of 5: all work as good as advertised and add a nice feeling to the airport)

Documentation:

Two manuals are included with the ISD Rome Fiumicino 2005. One of them is Italian, and the other is the translated English version. The English manual is well written and generally maintains an understandable language, although I cannot comment on the Italian version.
The manual includes everything that you will need to know to use the scenery; from installation to airport history. You can also look up, or if you want print the list of frequencies of the moving jetway gates. There aren’t any airport charts that come with the scenery by default, but the documentation includes a link to some nice airport charts for Rome. (5 out of 5)

Overall result:

What I liked about ISD Rome Fiumicino 2005

- Very detailed and well textured
- Freeware at Payware quality!
- Moving vehicles
- Moving Jetways
- Almost identical to the real airport – very accurate!
- Quite acceptable FPS considering the amount of detail
-

What I didn’t like about ISD Rome Fiumicino 2005

- The installation could have been made an EXE, with an option to add static aircraft automatically

Overall, the ISD Rome Fiumicino is definitely a worthy download, and great eye candy!

5 smiley faces out of 5 :amazed: :amazed: :amazed: :amazed: :amazed:

(Computer System used for testing: Pentium 4 3.2E GHz, 1024MB PC3200 Ram, Leadtek GeForce 6800GT, 160GB Harddrive)

Robin Bilgil.

#2 User is offline   Leginmat 

• Iron Chef
  • Icon
  • Group: + ATC

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:02 AM

An excellent review Robin! Very informative. An excellent freeware scenery also! Well done ISD and you get the thumbs up from me also Robin :P :thumbsup:

#3 User is offline   D-AERB 

• Alessandra, llámeme al Celular
  • Icon
  • Group: 747 Pilot
  • Interests:MD-11s, Commercial Aviation, Politics, World History, FS
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: AMD Athlon XP
  • Memory: Kingston 768
  • Video: NVIDIA GEForce FX 5200, 256 MB

Posted 18 July 2005 - 05:07 PM

Great review! It really does ISD Project's LIRF 2005 some justice. One thing I noticed about the jetways and which was already discussed on the Level-D forums is that if you tune the NAV2 radio for the jetways, they will not work. There is a solution to this problem:

In the pedestal view, click on "R VOR". Set the NAV radio in the F/O's side to AUTO, type in the NAV2 frequency into the FMC and the jetway should move. Link to my post at the ISD forums: http://www.isdprojec...opic.php?t=1313

Shot of the result:

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   bigtruck_ 

• Airforce Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: Airforce Pilot
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: E8400 @ 3.8 GHz
  • Memory: 4GB DDR2
  • Video: (2) GTS 450 SuperClocked 1GB

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:04 AM

Wow, very nice review Robin, thanks for posting it! :w00t:

#5 User is offline   Timsher 

• Icon
  • Group: + ATC
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: Sempron 3000+
  • Memory: 2GB 667mhz
  • Video: Nvidia 7600GT 256MB

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:36 PM

Great review and some very nice scenery, thanks!

#6 User is offline   whiplash 

• New Flyer
  • Icon
  • Group: New Flyer

Posted 08 September 2005 - 07:03 PM

Timsher, on Jul 19 2005, 10:36 PM, said:

Hi guys, I'm from rome, I work in fiumicino's airport, I use this scenery on Fs2004.. and I say to u that this is a perfect copy of the airport! Download it!

#7 User is offline   bigtruck_ 

• Airforce Pilot
  • Icon
  • Group: Airforce Pilot
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: E8400 @ 3.8 GHz
  • Memory: 4GB DDR2
  • Video: (2) GTS 450 SuperClocked 1GB

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:43 PM

whiplash, on Sep 8 2005, 06:03 PM, said:

Timsher, on Jul 19 2005, 10:36 PM, said:

Hi guys, I'm from rome, I work in fiumicino's airport, I use this scenery on Fs2004.. and I say to u that this is a perfect copy of the airport! Download it!

Straight from the source guys, looks like it is a must download!!! :w00t: Thanks for the input whiplash!!!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users