Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums: How To Install A Downloaded Aircraft - Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To Install A Downloaded Aircraft Tutorial

#1 User is offline   Lethal.Ambition 

• Reviewer
  • Icon
  • Group: Student Pilot
  • Interests:Ghost Recon<br />Flight Simulator<br />Watching TV
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: Pentinum 4
  • Memory: 512 MB SDRAM
  • Video: Nvidia FX 5200

Posted 11 December 2004 - 09:05 AM

:tree: How to Install Downloaded Airplanes :tree:

**DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any harm done to your computer by trying to install aircraft following my steps. Nothing should happen to your computer, but a rule of thumb is to backup your files before you replace anything.

Installing Aircraft in Flight Simulator 2004 is an easy process, but any mistake could lead to misplaced aircraft and possibly some headaches.

This tutorial was written using Flight Simulator 2004, but the process is the same for Flight Simulator 2002, with the exception of the root folder.

1. The first step is extracting the archive the aircraft came in. Usually in a file extension .zip and very rare occasion of .exe and .rar. To extract a .zip and .rar files it's best if you use WinRAR
A free program that has a "trial" date but after it runs out you only get a message saying you should register it, but the program retains same funcionality as before.

2.The second step is to extract the downloaded plane to a directory. WinRAR has the ability to extract to a folder with the exact filename as the original. Right click on the compressed file, and click "extract to XXX" where XXX is the name of the file. Like so:

Posted Image
The files will extract after you click that. If you downloaded the airplane to your desktop the extracted file will be in your desktop. If you downloaded to your documents the extracted file will be within your documents, etc.

The third step is to open the extracted folder (your new airplane :) ) and see the contents within the folder. The download in this tutorial has 3 folders called aircraft, effects and gauges. What this means is that the files within effects go into your effects folder in your Flight Simulator root directory. The same goes for gauges and aircraft.

Contents of the download:
Posted Image

Contents of the Flight Simulator 2004 root directory:

Posted Image

4.The fourth step is to move the files to their correct directory. If you are somewhat experience you would have done this already.

Open the aircraft folder of your download. In my case, it includes a folder called Super_Pacer, which has the files called:

model
panel
sound
texture
texture.XXX
aircraft.cfg
Super_Pacer.air

**Where XXX an optional folder where a repaint is included for the plane.

The files in the above list are the files every aircraft has. If you try to move a file without those contents into the aircraft folder nothing will happen. You will not see an airplane in the Flight Simulator aircraft selection.

Remember, DO NOT move those files into the aircraft folder INDIVIDUALLY you must move the folder they are in. In my case, the files in the list are in a folder called: Super_Pacer. I move that folder into my aircraft folder.
You can move through drag and drop, copying, or cutting. Don't forget to paste it!

5.Moving the files in the effects and gauges folder is very easy. In this case, you do not drag and drop (or whichever method you chose) those folders into the folders in FS, the process is slightly different.

Go ahead and open the effects folder. It will contain files with the extension of .fx. Drag and drop all of them (or copy/cut and paste) into the effects folder in Flight Simulator. In some instances you will be asked if you want to replace X file with X file. This means that there is already a file in the effects folder with that filename. Usually, its best to replace the file if is older than what you are moving into the folder.

Do the same for the files within the gauges folder.

Optional: If you think you may have trouble locating the airplane to fly it within Flight Simulator go into the aircraft file and open "aircraft.cfg" with notepad. Double click it, it will say Windows does not know how to open the file. Chose "select the program the list" and then click on notepad.

The aircraft.cfg will open. At the top are following entries:

[fltsim.0]
title=Super_Pacer
sim=Super_Pacer
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=
kb_checklists=
ui_manufacturer=Piper
ui_type=Super Pacer
atc_id=N120SP
ui_variation=Red & Cream
atc_id_color=0x00000000
atc_parking_types=RAMP
atc_heavy=0
atc_id_font=Verdana,-11,1,600,0
visual_damage=0
description=Piper PA-22. A short wing GA Piper.

**This is found in Super_Pacer, it is not necessarily the exact same for your airplane.

Locate the following line:

ui_manufacturer=

In our case, the manufacturer is Piper. This means that to find the plane you will have to the manufactuere of Piper (within FS) and select the plane.

Posted Image

Hope this helped you if you were having trouble installing aircraft. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Happy Flying!

The Super Pacer
Posted Image Posted Image
Found at Avsim by searching for super_pacer.zip. Direct download by clicking here.

Questions and answers:

Q: Does every plane come in a zip file?
A: No, some planes may come with an exe, in which case the installation is automatic and most of the times done correctly and in a matter of seconds.

Q: Does every plane contain the folders in your tutorial?
A: Not at all. Some downloads may include folders called Sound, Flights and maybe a Module folder. In this case the readme.txt file will include directions on installation. It's simple to install those anyways.

Q: Where can I download planes?
A: Many freeware sites such as FSZone, SimViation, Avsim and FlightSim

Q: Flight Simulator says that my airplane may cause Flight Simulator to not function properly (along the lines). What's wrong?
A: You either downloaded an airplane for a different version of Flight Simulator, or you download a gauge (or replaced a new with an old) that is not compatible with Flight Simulator. You can resolve this by looking for a download for your version of Flight Simulator, or by deleting the plane. Sorry!

Again,if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions don't hesitate in posting them.

--John Cifuentes

#2 User is offline   Eric 

• Only 24 Hours in a day?!
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: Core i7 920
  • Memory: 12GB DDR3
  • Video: Nvidia 9800GTX+ 512MB

Posted 11 December 2004 - 09:08 AM

Great Tutorial! :D

#3 User is offline   CombatAce 

• Reviewer
  • Icon
  • Group: Commercial Pilot

Posted 11 December 2004 - 06:19 PM

Great tutorial John!

#4 User is offline   Tim 

• Cleared to Land
  • Icon
  • Group: + ATC
  • Interests:Flying!

Posted 11 December 2004 - 06:25 PM

Wonderful tutorial. Something easier you can do is to just double click the WinRar file and drag the contents to there rightful FS9 folder. :)

#5 User is offline   Lethal.Ambition 

• Reviewer
  • Icon
  • Interests:Ghost Recon<br />Flight Simulator<br />Watching TV
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: Pentinum 4
  • Memory: 512 MB SDRAM
  • Video: Nvidia FX 5200

Posted 11 December 2004 - 06:44 PM

Tim, on Dec 11 2004, 07:25 PM, said:

Wonderful tutorial. Something easier you can do is to just double click the WinRar file and drag the contents to there rightful FS9 folder. :)

Yep I wanted to mention that but decided using the old method because you can see better what you're doing. Also, it was aimed at noobies. But I do what you do said all the time :-)

Thanks for the comments.

#6 User is offline   fondle 

• Commercial Pilot
  • Icon
  • Interests:Real World Aviation........i do it!!<br /><br />*12.4 hours, C172 Registered N739SB*
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: AMD Athlon 2.4
  • Memory: 1024 GB
  • Video: NVIDIA GeForce MX 5800 256 MB

Posted 11 December 2004 - 06:59 PM

i masterd that skill about 5 months ago....:wppt:

#7 User is offline   FSsurferdude 

• New Flyer
  • Icon

Posted 13 December 2004 - 11:43 AM

good tutorial :D helpfull

#8 Guest_Jorge_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:30 PM

I still need help. I downloaded the winrar file, I extract the folder into the same folder, just like in the beginning. Everything in the beginning is good, until I reach the part were you have to copy the folders into the aircraft folder. I downloaded the Airbus a380 Qantas livery. I cant copy and paste, and when I try to drag into the aircraft folder the shows a picture like a circle with a line in the middle. I need help on that. PLEASE HELP!.

Supposly, i did what i mentioned on top, but i dont know how or where to copy the folder into my fs2004 :huh:

#9 User is offline   Eric 

• Only 24 Hours in a day?!
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: Core i7 920
  • Memory: 12GB DDR3
  • Video: Nvidia 9800GTX+ 512MB

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:44 PM

Jorge, on Feb 24 2005, 04:30 PM, said:

I still need help. I downloaded the winrar file, I extract the folder into the same folder, just like in the beginning. Everything in the beginning is good, until I reach the part were you have to copy the folders into the aircraft folder. I downloaded the Airbus a380 Qantas livery. I cant copy and paste, and when I try to drag into the aircraft folder the shows a picture like a circle with a line in the middle. I need help on that. PLEASE HELP!. 
Supposly, i did what i mentioned on top, but i dont know how or where to copy the folder into my fs2004  :huh:

is it possible to see a screenshot? :)

#10 User is offline   flighkid9 

• New Flyer
  • Icon
  • Interests:Flight Simulator, gliders, planes
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: AMD X4 620
  • Memory: 4Gb PC-3200
  • Video: ATI HD3200

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

Nice tutorial! i created a tutorial video on how to do this, check it out here: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_xgzUwWNhw4

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users