Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums: Liberty XL2 for FS2004 & FSX - Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Liberty XL2 for FS2004 & FSX From Eaglesoft Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Dredd 

• Proud to fly Horizon!
  • Icon
  • Group: + Reporters
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: AMD AM2+ 9650
  • Memory: 4Gb @1033MHz
  • Video: GTS450 1GB

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

Liberty XL2 for FS2004 or FSX, released by EagleSoft

Available here: http://www.eaglesoft.../LibertyXL2.htm

Priced at: $22.95

Posted ImagePosted Image

I saw this in Mango's screenshots over on another forum, and just knew I needed to own it! The VC is the only view I use for flying, so it's rather important to me that they get the thing right, look and feel wise. The other rather obvious thing is, as I fly with my realism sliders set all the way to the right, it must behave as a real aircraft would!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Well, first impressions are important, and that respect this aircraft let me down somewhat. The VC isn't great as can be seen from the com's panel, and very little of it is 3D, including the switches. The knobs on the various gauges seem to be an after thought as well as they "swim" through the panel as you move your head around. Having said that, I do like the electornic engine management system, with it's dimmable lights. Talking of dimmable lights, the cabin lights can also be dimmed, which is a real bonus when coming in at night. The start camera position is also slightly out when you fist start with this aircraft, and it's worth moving the "camera" (or your head if you prefer!) into the correct position before starting the engine etc. I like the fact you have to close the oil inspection hatch, remove the tie downs and pitot covers, before climbing aboard (virtually of course!), it adds to this planes character.

Getting the thing started is easy enough. Mixture to full rich, crack the throttle open about 10 percent or so. Flick some 2D switches, turn the 2D key, and she jumps into life! Ok thats unfair perhaps, but they are so obviously 2D! Prod the avionics switch and the garmins, transponder and comms panel all jump to life. Pressing 'ent' a couple of times on the GPS devices gets them fired up and ready for VFR use. Engine panel tells me the temps are right, so a little prod of throttle gets me moving. The view is quiet impressive, but only once you've corrected the camera's position from the rather dodgilly placed "default". In the air, she is a true gem in lots of ways. The Liberty bob's about on the thermals, needing a hand near the yoke at all times to keep her flying true. She is very stable once trimmed up and resists the urge to 'roll over' due to the diahdral of the wings. Keeping the ball centered during turns is fun too, and not that easy, which really adds an element of realisim. All in all, I think that this aircraft is ok. I can't give it a "five" but the flight model makes up a lot for the ill's of the VC. And even though things "lean" in funny dirrections within the cockpit, they aren't too glarringly obvious. So, some pictures to round off what is a nice aircraft, and could do with a couple of texture replacements from the VC panel just to sort out the comms stack.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• Whoaa! I'm dangerous!
  • Icon
  • Group: Ground Crew
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: Athlon X2 Dual
  • Memory: 4.00 GB
  • Video: Nvidia GeForce 8600GT

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:49 AM

Seems to be fun to fly that :P nice re view :)

#3 User is offline   Baldwyn 

• Air Trafic Control
  • Icon
  • Group: Contest Host

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

Why are do so many aircraft have a flying mag on the other seat :D

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• Whoaa! I'm dangerous!
  • Icon
  • Group: Ground Crew
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: Athlon X2 Dual