Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums: Max graphics for $650!! - Flight Sim X / FS2004 Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Max graphics for $650!!

#1 User is offline   flighkid9 

• New Flyer
  • Icon
  • Group: Student Pilot
  • Interests:Flight Simulator, gliders, planes
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: AMD X4 620
  • Memory: 4Gb PC-3200
  • Video: ATI HD3200

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

I bought a new $650 computer at bestbuy five days ago to replace my really old P4 machine that had finally bitten the dust. My new computer specs are:
Cpu: AMD Athlon X4 620 2.6Ghz
RAM: 4gb PC3200
PSU: 350W
GPU: ATI HD3200 (waiting for my 8800gt to come in the mail)

When I bought it I was expecting no more than medium graphics settings on fsx, but once i installed fsx on it and tried it out over several large cities, I was amazed to find that it could run fsx on max settings at 25-35fps! (locked at 35fps) the only problems I had was some stuttering which i'm sure will stop once I get my 8800gt i bought on tigerdirect comes. I monitored my cpu temps when I was on fsx and also found that they averaged around 35 degrees and maxed at 41 only for a few moments, so i want to know, what's your view on this? (I'll probably upload some screenshots very soon)

#2 User is offline   Fourtyfreak 

• Student Pilot
  • Icon

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:59 AM

View Postflighkid9, on 29 May 2010 - 09:02 PM, said:

I bought a new $650 computer at bestbuy five days ago to replace my really old P4 machine that had finally bitten the dust. My new computer specs are:

When I bought it I was expecting no more than medium graphics settings on fsx, but once i installed fsx on it and tried it out over several large cities, I was amazed to find that it could run fsx on max settings at 25-35fps! (locked at 35fps) the only problems I had was some stuttering which i'm sure will stop once I get my 8800gt i bought on tigerdirect comes. I monitored my cpu temps when I was on fsx and also found that they averaged around 35 degrees and maxed at 41 only for a few moments, so i want to know, what's your view on this? (I'll probably upload some screenshots very soon)

Sounds like a great deal, but please be aware that the 8800GT you just ordered will draw a heck of a lot of power from your PSU. A quick google shows power requirements for the 8800GT of between 110-130 watts. Depending on the power requirements of the rest of the components in your rig, the stock PSU may be marginal on power.

Hopefully you'll be OK, but I just didn't want your PSU in your new rig to go 'pop' simply because your shiny new GPU is power hungry.

Paul

#3 User is offline   flighkid9 

• New Flyer
  • Icon
  • Interests:Flight Simulator, gliders, planes
  • My FS Rig
  • CPU: AMD X4 620
  • Memory: 4Gb PC-3200
  • Video: ATI HD3200

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:41 PM

View PostFourtyfreak, on 30 May 2010 - 10:59 AM, said:

View Postflighkid9, on 29 May 2010 - 09:02 PM, said:

Sounds like a great deal, but please be aware that the 8800GT you just ordered will draw a heck of a lot of power from your PSU. A quick google shows power requirements for the 8800GT of between 110-130 watts. Depending on the power requirements of the rest of the components in your rig, the stock PSU may be marginal on power.

Hopefully you'll be OK, but I just didn't want your PSU in your new rig to go 'pop' simply because your shiny new GPU is power hungry.

Paul

Ya, I checked all my volts and how much power everything is taking and I still have about 185W left to play ith so I should be ok, if not I'll just get a new 550W from tigerdirect.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users